Monday, April 9, 2012

California Nebula during Easter


This work-break allowed me to finally process and add color data to my previous H-alpha only NGC1499. The H-alpha subs were taken two years ago and they were among the first lights of my H-alpha filter. The color subs were taken in Buso-buso during the Christmas break-New Year's Eve in fact. Early in processing, I was getting errors during registration of the images as the H-alpha and color subs were of different scales and orientation-taken with 558mm F.L. Megrez 90 and 200mm F.L. lens respectively. After three attempts, I stopped, went outside for fresh air and had snacks. I went back in front of the computer and tried again. It took me five attempts before I got it right-it seemed. Talk about processing! Usually its harder than image acquisition.

2 comments:

Leo Dy said...

Wow so deep and dense! Your effort paid off, very well. Just amazing.

Mind sharing the exposure details? Did you use the 200mm 2.8L? If so how well does this lens perform on astroimaging is it good enough to shoot wide open?

Tani Custodio said...

Thanks! I used 14 X 3 minutes for the H-alpha subs and 20 X 3 minutes for the color data. I used the 200mm lens for the color subs at f4. I opted to stop the lens down for better image quality. There were a bit of chromatic distortion and coma at wide open. But starts to improve at every f-stop. Its a very solid lens for astrophotography.