Friday, March 19, 2010

M101 Galaxy in Ursa Major


While I was waiting for Scorpious to rise in the pre-dawn sky, I was scanning "The Sky" planetarium software for suitable targets. I found mostly galaxies which were too small for my scope. And since the clouds and perennial haze ruled that night, I had to watch which part of the sky was clear for longer time. Ursa Major was for a time clear so I slewed my scope towards M101 not because its relatively bigger but because I was curious to find the difference between my previous M101 image when I used a non-modified cam and now with a modded cam and with field flattener/focal reducer. I took 18 frames of 3 minutes each exposures for this. I think it still need some more exposures to lessen the noise and smoothen out the details.

No comments: