Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Light - Astronomik Ha filter


I was able to acquire a H-alpha filter with the help of Mr. Brian Davis who hand carried it from the U.S. I was thinking that somehow I can take advantage of the few clear nights at home to do a bit of astrophotography. The sky at my place has been affected by ever increasing light pollution from nearby Pasig and Makati cities. Last night, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a break in the clouds. I hurriedly finished my dinner and began setting up my gears. I inserted my new Televue field flattener and pop in the H-alpha filter inside the Canon 350d. What better way to test my new toys than use it on the Flame & Horsehead nebulas, I said to myself. Also, I would like to test a new guiding software, GuideMaster. And so I snapped 15 frames of 240 seconds each. However, my luck ran out when the camera battery got discharged when I was about to shoot the dark frames. Anyway, the objective of this exercise was just to test the equipment and not image processing so I stacked the 15 images and here's what I got. Hmm. .. makes me want to set-up again. . .

No comments: