Monday, May 18, 2009

Omega Centauri (NGC5139)


Globular clusters are not my favorites deep sky objects. They all look the same to me. In fact, I haven't spent considerable time scrutinizing globulars ever since. But, I guess some things can change. Last Saturday, I and Irving made a stubborn attempt to do stargazing at Buso-buso. I was so excited to bring out my gears again after a long time of accumulating dust. So excited indeed that I foolishly forgot to do proper polar alignment. I used the polar alignment scope without reference to the date & time. Result-I was offset by considerable amount. This I learned when I got home when processing the images. Anyway, my attention was called by Irving by pointing out Omega Centauri low in the southern horizon. I looked at it through my Megrez and from that time on, I knew that my old impression with globulars will change. I found myself looking at a cluster of enormous number of stars resembling a heap of sugar! This image is a pale representation of what was stuck in my memory. I do like globulars after all!

No comments: