Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Milky Way Cruise

Last Sunday was an eventful day. Typhoon Frank suddenly made an unexpected turn towards Metro Manila. I woke up suddenly around 2:30 am due to some rumblings over our bedroom's ceiling. This could only mean one thing-there was a strong wind blowing at the roof deck. I hurriedly climbed the stairs to the third floor, and sure enough, the wind was strongly moving everything in its path. The rest of the day was spent securing our house from water leakages and of course, sleeping.

But, yesterday evening was very different! After arriving from MegaMall at around 7:30 pm, I walked outside and behold! Stars were very visible against a velvety dark sky. I hurriedly got my Vixen Ultima binoculars and was astonished that the sky was very clear. Most probably typhoon Frank cleaned the city air and brought away the clouds. I started viewing the Large Sagittarius Star Cloud from the tip of the Teapot and as slowly panned the Milky Way. I began to recognize the Lagoon Nebulae as a misty haze. But wait, what was that cluster near the sting of Scorpious? Oh, I forgot to bring out my handy star atlas. Anyway, I promised myself that I will just look at it later. I continued to move further up and saw a couple of nebulas and cluster. Somehow, I got a good feeling that I was beginning to like this patch of sky. It was as if I could have stayed all night exploring this part of the Milky Way. My mind kept on drinking the spectacular views and wondered if this was the same emotion that drove Edward Emerson Barnard to stay all night photographing the beauty of the Milky Way. Well, I believe it was something else. As I cruised the galaxy, I was constantly reminding myself that I was at my house lest I got carried away by the beautiful sirens of the universe.

Well, there was my wife calling my name that it was time to put my sons to sleep and I had to go down. As I was putting the binoculars back in its case, I smiled gently at it and whispered, "good job, my spaceship!"

"Yes, I'm coming down now."

No comments: